OH MY GOD, I CARRY YOU!


For the Roman Catholics, today is Ash Wednesday. This day, many faithful Catholics flocked to the church for that smudging of ashes in their forehead. Way back from the first clear evidence of Ash Wednesday around 960 AD, this tradition signals the beginning of the Lenten season in the liturgical calendar.

The popularity of smudging our forehead with ashes during Ash Wednesday seems so evident in the Philippines, being the only Catholic country in Asia.

In the New Testament, Jesus refers to the use of ashes as a sign of repentance. That is, as the season of Lent begins, we have to submit ourselves to God and do the act of repentance. We are all humans. We are all vulnerable to sins. We all have sins. But, the most important thing there is that we have all the chances to ask for forgiveness while we are still alive. God is our merciful Father. So, it is impossible for Him not to lend His ears for our sincere apologies.

On a lighter note, today seems the day made for seeing old good friends. It is queer to think how this day happened such way. I happened to see some of my old friends in Surigao Education Center, to wit: Tiyan, Albot, Butitay, Lady Gaga, Maam Edith, Teacher Rey, Teacher Jubie Pongcol, that professor in chemistry, and a parent of a Montessori pupil two years ago.

It shows how people, in this little city of Surigao in the northeastern tip of Mindanao, become so close to each other. That is, seeing my old friends made this day a bit special to me. Perhaps, God just showed me the sign to ask for forgiveness for all my shortcomings against my old friends (I know there is…hehe). On that note, from the innermost part of my heart, I do ask for forgiveness. Please accept my sincere apologies. And, I know that I’m not all alone here. Many people who have done something which hurt others may find this day the perfect time to ask for sorry. I know that some seem to find sorry as the hardest word. But, just keep it a try. Once you are used to saying it sincerely, it’s not anymore hard for you to say so all over and over again.

After all, forgiveness always finds its way to someone’s heart. Once it has found its place, it acquires its own citizenship. Gradually, it softens the hard spot of someone’s heart, and it resides inside the heart in its very own time.

Oh well, how lucky I am being lightened up by this smudging of ashes in my forehead. By joining such liturgical tradition, I saw forgiveness in the different light. By wearing that smudge faithfully all day long, I know that I carry Jesus Christ with me. I carry Him here in my heart.     

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts