MEMORIES PRINTED

Dusty roads. Noise pollution resonating. People working. An exhausting day. That’s what I observed in the cityscapes before I rewarded my self for an island adventure. 

A day after the official end of the school year, I, together with my outdoor adventurist colleagues, was off to Bucas Grande Island for an island hopping. It seemed more of a self-treat than a summer getaway. After such exhausting school year, it was such a perfect time to reward ourselves. And, to engage in nature as a reward was really fun.

There was this magical appeal within me the time I set foot to the boat from our jump off point in Hayanggabon, Claver bound to Sohoton Cove in Bucas Grande Island. I’ve had this natural phobia riding in a boat in vast seawater. The idea of a matchbox floating in a wide and deep ocean tattooed on my mind. And, a half-hour perching in the seawater was like a way to a dungeon. But at least, the feeling of excitement and the anticipation of a great island experience waiting ahead of us temporarily eased the tension inside me.

Lush islands. Cupcake-like islets. Pristine beaches. Blue waters. Cool see breeze. Welcoming folks. Mouth-watering seafood. Magical inland waters. Challenging trails. Colorful corals underneath. These are the nature wonders seen by my naked eyes. Momentarily, it’s as if I were in Wonderland.

I caught myself amazed by these magical creations of Mother Nature—God’s masterpieces on that note. It’s the bizarre Sohoton Cove which captured something different on me. It’s, indeed, Bucas Grande’s most precious jewel. That feeling when I became speechless seeing the beautifully-carved limestones and other rock formations, serene waters, the nature-fashioned stalactites and stalagmites.

Perhaps, the most challenging part of that island adventure was that when we had a trail in a small cave, immersed ourselves with bats taking rests in the canopy of beautiful stalactites, and ended up taking a plunge into the cool waters. After that interesting jump from a cliff off for a plunge, fear of heights and second thoughts were all paid off. It’s replaced with a big smile painted from overcoming such challenge.

As the day came to a close, we let all our connections to and engagements in nature go to our treasure chest of fond memories as we took rest in native cottages by the tranquil beach facing the mining hub of Taganito in the northeastern tip of Mindanao.

We left the place the following day, but the magical trails printed on our memories have continued to scribble pages of amazement. I know that a day is not enough to discover all the hidden jewels of Sohoton Cove. But, I sincerely thank God for giving us the opportunity being connected to and engaged in in His wonderful creations in such a way.

Serenity. Enchantment. Peace of mind. That’s what I brought with me upon arriving in the sprawling metropolis of Surigao. At the end of the day, I didn’t mind what I observed about the cityscapes prior to our island hopping. For I believe that, it’s how I look at things that really matters. And, it really does.   




Comments

Popular Posts