THE CITY OF GENTLE PEOPLE

BELFRY


I was in awe the first time I saw this belfry. It's somewhat old for a layman's view, but it is very rich as culture and art is concerned.


The first time I set foot in Dumaguete, I directly went to this place at Sta. Catalina de Alejandria Cathedral. I lit a candle and prayed sincerely that I may be in good hands in this total strange place for me.

Historically, the belfry was used as signal for DumagueteƱos that there were some pirates and conquerors who were going to land in the place.

STA. CATALINA DE ALEJANDRIA CATHEDRAL

It is a 17th century stone church and taunted to be the oldest stone church in Negros Island. I like the facade of the cathedral and the whole pastoral compound including a convent and some houses for clergymen. The facade makes the cathedral more inviting.

RIZAL BOULEVARD

The ambiance and the atmosphere of Rizal Boulevard is so impressive--lamp posts, benches, baywalk, acacia trees, among others. It is a little escape from the bustling downtown Dumaguete. It is safe there because one way is intended for walking and the other is for vehicles, actually a national highway.

The center island where acacia trees flaunt their shades is perfect for picnic and contemplation. I have observed some families would just roll their mat out in the lawn and bring with them some food. And, it's a picnic in the picture.

As to safety, police visibility is obvious. There is nothing to worry about. Police would roam around every now and then for security check.

On the other end of the Boulevard is the place for tempora, fish ball, balot, among others. Foodies would somehow gratify their gastronomic desires upon trying it there. Almost every night which the time I used to roam around, many people have to take hefty and small meals in the balot area. I could also see many people do jogging and brisk walking. In the distance, you could see the Siquijor Island and Cebu Province.

On the other end is the Zone Therapy and Curie Massage. I have had long observations there. For only Php50.00, you would somehow feel spa experience which is said to be expensive. By observing, I bet I now know how to do a massage therapy. And, I believe my father would really like it if I have him reflexed.

It's safe also for kids because you could still see and set foot to  the sand when it's low  tide compared to Surigao wherein it is high tide all year round. That's why, it's not child-friendly.

Plus, the live band would surely resonate your senses while taking relaxation. The other side is the Rizal Avenue with array of establishments like hotels, bars, offices, among others. During weekends and Fridays, live bands play music where people could freely see and listen to.

Even if you spend your whole night here, I bet  it's more rewarding than getting drunk somewhere else.

QUEZON PARK

It is equivalent to Luneta in Surigao. I bet both are the same. They only differ in structure. The presence of playgrounds, kiosk, walkways, monuments are the same in Surigao's Luneta. As to size, they are almost equal. I do think so.

AQUINO FREEDOM PARK

This is what I call the perfect place for a date. I bet this is the most romantic place in Dumaguete so far. This is where I've spent most of my free time. The presence of big trees makes your stay in the park. The green lawn and the shrine-like structure seem so inviting to the eyes. I really like it here always. The walkway is perfect for 'Holding Hands While Walking.' Plus, it's too clean here. You could barely see the green lawn all over the place. If you're in the center viewing the park, you're somewhat entering the Buckingham Palace.  It's the capitol of Negros Oriental in the distance. It's like a White House. In front of the capitol is the fountain with colorful LED lights, plus the solar panel.

I really like the structure of the park. In every pathway, you could just relax. In every corner, it's perfect for 'in the pensive mood.' It's also perfect for dating because it's somehow exclusive. As to safety, there are security guards who are doing security check routine. The border of the park is flanked with acacia trees adding a perfect romantic picture of the place.

At night, it's good for stargazing and moon basking. It's cool because you could barely see the sky. The silence could just make you cry.

Comments

Popular Posts